external position (freelance contract)PUBLISHED
Senior Non-key expert GIS
- GOPA is currently implementing the project “Support for the Implementation of Population & Housing Census 2020”. This project provides technical assistant to the Institute of Statistics of Albania (INSTAT) in preparing a new Population and Housing Census (PHC) to be conducted in October 2020. The technical assistance supports INSTAT in carrying out operational activities throughout all phases of the PHC, including the pilot census, the actual PHC and the post-enumeration survey.
- INSTAT has voted for counting all individuals using traditional door-to-door interviews rather than making use of a register-based census. Still, the PHC 2020 brings into play several innovations, most importantly the use of CAPI and geospatial information for data collection, providing further directions for the implementation of the 2030 census as a register-based one.
- In preparation of the pilot census in October 2019, INSTAT needs ad-hoc support in the area of ArcGIS Census Geodatabase, in particular in the EA mapping work and consolidating the Census Geodatabase.
- We are looking for a GIS expert to assist INSTAT in geospatial activities in preparation of the pilot census and the 2020 PHC.
- Match Municipality boundary with sub-boundary of former District/Commune.
- Update EA boundary according to total number change of Buildings, including split, combine, or reshape. May need reshape to match Municipality boundary.
- Create EA map for navigation within the EA for mobile device (tablets).
- Assist in the overall updating of the Census Geodatabase and related operations needed for the 2020 Census.
- Follow-up with INSTAT’s GIS and IT team after the pilot census in a view of optimizing census mapping and other GIS-related tasks for the actual PHC.
- Assist in the preparation of training manual for the census mapping fieldwork, and of other census mapping and GIS-related training material as needed.
- University degree in Geography, Geospatial Information, Geomatics, Building Databases, or any other related field.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in the relevant field of census mapping and the integration of statistical and geospatial information.
- Technical knowledge of concepts and definitions of GIS, GPS, Remote Sensing, as well as of census mapping.
- Comprehensive understanding of the effectiveness of using maps and geospatial technologies for census mapping operations.
- In-depth technical experience with ArcGIS and (Census) Geodatabase implementation and/or maintenance.
- Knowledge of Survey Solutions would be a plus.